What is the UBC Cancer Association?
We are a charitable AMS club aiming to raise awareness and funds towards cancer research and educate the community about cancer-related topics. We are affiliated to the Canadian Cancer Society and work closely with them.
What is our relationship with the Canadian Cancer Society?
We are strongly affiliated with the Canadian Cancer Society and work closely with them. Our proceeds (unless otherwise specified) go towards cancer research and support networks through the Canadian Cancer Society.
What does the club do?
Spread awareness about cancer-related topics, fundraise for cancer research initiatives and educate the community:
To Spread Awareness
Events: Movember, Cuts for Cancer, Daffodil Month and Relay for Life (to learn more direct to events header)
Dog Calendar, BIOL 112 Exam Packs, Climb for a Cause, Scuba Diving (to learn more direct to events header)
Create monthly comics on various cancer-related topics/research, create video animation decoding myths about cancer, videos interviewing/showcasing current cancer research (to learn more direct to cancer decoded comics or UBCCA’s youtube)
What is each committee responsible for?
There are 6 committees:
Relay For Life, Internal, External, Marketing, Finance, Awareness
How are UBCCA events going to look like on a virtual platform?
Our events committee is working hard to integrate events into a virtual environment, either through live streaming or holding larger group calls. We will use synchronous and asynchronous activities to build engagement within the UBC community. We will place some emphasis on doing collaborations with other clubs to spread our reach and to increase our impact. There is a chance we may have smaller-scale events or fundraisers on campus that will adhere to provincial guidelines.
Thinking about Joining?
What are some perks for becoming a member of UBCCA?
When you become a member of the UBC Cancer Association you join a community of inspiring individuals motivated to fundraise and spread awareness of cancer research initiatives and support networks.
Becoming a member of the UBC Cancer Association opens up an outlet of exclusive volunteer opportunities and a network of driven individuals across many fields. As a member, you will also be provided discounts to our events and access to our many socials throughout the year.
How to get involved?
- Pay a $5 membership fee for exclusive volunteer opportunities and discounts to our events.
- Sign up for our Mailing List and get general updates of our events via email, no discount/volunteer opportunities.
Relay for Life Event
What is RFL?
Relay for Life is a festival-like fundraiser where teams or individuals can sign up and fundraise and create a community that shows life is bigger than cancer. Relay for life has 3 goals:
Celebrate cancer survivors
- RFL is kicked off with the victory lap where participants and cancer survivors walk the first lap of Relay.
- Each team has a representative walking around the lap at all times. This is to represent and honour the journey people with Cancer are facing.
- While people are not on the lap, there are tons of activities to do, performances, and food for participants to enjoy. There are also a ton of prizes throughout the event.
Remember loved ones lost to cancer
- Throughout the event, participants have the opportunity to make luminaries (paper bags with a candle) and decorate them with the reason for “Why you Relay”. It could be because you want a cancer-free future, or because of a loved one you lost to cancer.
- Luminaries ceremony: participants walk a lap in silence remembering those lost to cancer.
Fight back as a community
- Each participant is encouraged to reach a personal fundraising goal to contribute to our mission of funding groundbreaking research that can save many lives. Last year we raised over $20,000!
- Provide the space where the community can unite under the common goal of fighting against cancer